Sunday, January 2, 2011

Day 1/2 - BOS to ATL to ACC

My journey officially began this morning when I boarded my Atlanta bound Delta flight leaving Logan Airport in Boston.  At Atlanta, I had a 3 hour lay over, before getting on a non-stop flight to Accra.  Both flights were relatively uneventful.  About the most exciting thing that happened was the reading lights not working on the long haul from the ATL to Accra and the complimentary beer/wine service.  I was surprisinged about how civilized the 10+ hour flight accross the Atlantic was.  The seats were decently comfortable and each had their own personal entertainment system.  The flight included two meals - dinner and then breakfast right before we landed.  Dinner was pleasantly decent; however, the egg quiche conconction that was served for dinner was pretty unenjoyable.  Probably the coolest part of the trip was getting off the plane at Accra and walking down a stair case directly onto the tarmac.  At the Kotoka International Airport (the official name), I saw only three other planes - total!  One of them was actually a white United Nations Boeing 757.  I asked someone later about it, and he told me the United Nations had a significant persence in Ghana, particularly in recent weeks given the disputed election in neighboring Côte d'Ivoire (or as english speaking refer to it - the Ivory Coast).
At Kotoka International Airport, we departed directly from the plane onto the tarmac.  It reminded me of Long Beach Airport in LA.

Clocks at the airport indicated the time of various major international cities.  I'm now officially on Ghana time (for those who are curious, Ghana is 5 hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time).

My next blog boston will talk more about the exciting sights I saw in my whirlwind day in Accra as well as some of the interesting stuff I learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment